Saturday, January 8, 2011

Surgery Postponed...

Yesterday we went to Children's expecting to leave there with a baby whose eyes we could finally see. Instead, we came home exactly the way we left. Such a frustrating day! We got to the hospital, did all of the pre-op paperwork and check up. After waiting for a few hours (they were running behind almost 2 hours), the anesthesiologist came in to talk to us before the procedure. When he walked in the room I quickly knew he didn't feel comfortable with Trista's minor cold coupled with her heart defect. He was asking lots of questions about her cold symptoms, listened to her lungs multiple times and then said he needed to talk to the surgeon as he did not have a comfort level intubating Trista with a cold. Apparently, there is an increased risk of a child catching pneumonia if they have a cold when the breathing tube is used. They said that they would need to admit her into the ICU for observation for a few days post-surgery in order to be sure she didn't catch pneumonia. After talking to the surgeon, it was clear that they were not willing to take that risk. Pneumonia for Trista could be fatal.

Even though I was super frustrated (and yes - broke down into tears a few times at the hospital) I now understand that this was the best choice. Today Trista is much more congested and her cold seems to be getting worse. It took us over 3 months to get this surgery scheduled and there are not any more surgeries available anytime soon. It's getting very difficult for Trista to see - her eyelids are covering most of her pupil now.

My main question is - how will we ever have her perfectly healthy? It seems like there is always someone in our house with a runny nose or a cough! I try to keep her as confined as I possibly can, but there is only so much I can do. She attends school 3 days a week and is bound to catch something from all of the other 2 year olds. Ughhhh.....

We stopped at the surgeon's office on the way home from the hospital and made sure they knew that we are in desperate need of this surgery. The office manager said she would see if she could somehow squeeze us in within the next few months. If they can't, we will need to find a new surgeon.

Please pray that somehow we will be able to get her surgery done next month. To start over with a new surgeon would be like starting at the beginning again. Thanks, as always, for all your prayers. I will keep you all posted :)


  1. frustrating. I know the feeling about stuffy noses, coughs, and colds. We always have something going on around here...especially in the winter. God will work around the surgeon's schedule to make the perfect time for her surgery. You all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

  2. That is frustrating! My sons cath had to be rescheduled the first time because he had a cold, it was very frustrating because he hasn't had any surgeries & this was a diagnostic one so they could figure out which would be the best thing to do for his heart! I'll keep you & your family in my prayers!! Please check out my blog about my little boy & his CHD